Sunday, October 17, 2010

Football

Yesterday was a pretty frenzied day in the college football world.

South Carolina, fresh off their biggest win ever, provided fans with yet another disappointment that proved the program does not know how to handle consistent success.  Longtime Gamecock fans are used to this rollercoaster of emotion.  Call it a letdown, or call it the Chicken Curse.  Either way, they were in control of that game and pretty much handed it to Kentucky.  Don't even get me started on the bad coaching in the final drive.

Luckily for the Gamecocks, each week is indeed a new week, and they've proven what they are capable of when they are at their best.  The race for the SEC East is still wide open, thanks in part to an equally inconsistent Florida.  But there can be no more slip-ups.

Florida suffered their latest loss to Mississippi State AT The Swamp, which gives me hope that South Carolina can pull one off when we play there later in the season.

And wow, what a game Arkansas-Auburn turned out to be.  Arkansas looks to be South Carolina's most dangerous upcoming opponent (aside from the imploding Gamecocks themselves).

In other games around the nation, the curse of the top-ranked team continued, when newly crowned Ohio State suffered its first defeat at the hands of Wisconsin.  Take that, little sweater-vested man.  I can barely care though, the Big Ten could not interest me any less.

In non-related football news, Barbara Billingsley, aka June Cleaver, passed away this weekend at the age of 94.  I have very fond memories of watching "Leave It To Beaver" (reruns) on Nickelodeon when I was younger.  No, I was not around for the first airing.

I have to spend a few days in Charlotte this week.  I don't mind the trip so much, but the timing could certainly be a little better.  David Sedaris, author-extraordinaire and my personal hero, is going to be in North Charleston Tuesday night for a reading.  I always seem to be out of town when he is here on tour.  Oh, well, maybe next year.  That will give me a little more time to read his latest book "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk", which has been sitting on my kitchen counter for a couple of weeks now.  Sorry David, you just cannot compete with "The Housewives".

This trip will not be a total disappointment, however, as it will present me with the perfect opportunity for a hot date with Ashley and little Jay-Z on the way back home.  Can't wait.  I hope the little one hasn't forgotten me yet.  See you Thursday...

No comments:

Post a Comment