Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Royal Excitement


Greetings from the Queen City!  The picture above is the view from my hotel room.  I seem to get Room 415 each time I visit; I'm beginning to feel like they should name it the Kevin Suite.  Anywho, as you can probably see from the picture, it's a bit dreary and damp here.  I was in the office from 8 am to 6 pm today, so it's not like the weather has hampered any afterwork activities.

Speaking of Queens, royalty, and such, I was very excited to hear the official announcement of the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton.  Although the exact date is yet to be announced, I fully intend to travel to London for the event.  If they could please consider scheduling the nuptials sometime during Wimbledon, that would be super.  Thanks in advance for your consideration, Prince William and Kate.

I know it probably seems a bit bizarre that I would want to travel overseas just to stand on the side of the road with a bunch of strangers to watch a royal carriage pass by, but I've always been a bit obsessed with the British royal family.  Growing up in South Carolina, the very idea of royalty was the most foreign concept, and truly the stuff of imagination and fairytales.

When I was in second grade, I was captivated by the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.  I attended daycare at the time, and my little friends and I celebrated the nuptials by staging our very own recreation of the event.  Of course I was Prince Charles, and my childhood girlfriend, Becky Jones, was Princess Diana.

The bride stole a blanket from the nursery to substitute for a veil.  I very clearly recall wearing navy blue shorts, which I thought a smart choice since it resembled a more casual version of the groom's royal uniform.  My attire was completed by placing a croquet mallet through a belt loop.  Back in the day, that was the closest thing to a sabre I could find.

Fortunately, that was the closest I've ever come to getting hitched.  Although this is South Carolina, I'm fairly certain that the marriage isn't official.  I hope that's the case, as my child bride has since married another and I'd hate to be part of a polygamist relationship.  Then again, I might potentially be eligible for a spin-off of "Sister Wives" and finally realize my dream of having my very own reality show.

No comments:

Post a Comment