Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oprah

I was having so much fun yesterday on conference calls and touring breweries that I missed a major worldwide event.  No, there was no Rapture or natural disaster.  I'm referring to the end of the 25 year run of "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

I've never been a huge fan of Oprah, other than to mock her ever-increasing world domination and strangelhold on the media.  At the same time, I do recognize the impact she's had over the past 25 years and struggle to remember a time when Oprah was not a household name.

This whole Oprah-fest has really brought back a flood of memories recently.  When Oprah first burst onto the scene, I was 13 years old and in Eighth Grade.  Yep, believe it or not, I once was young and carefree.  Still grumpy though.

My South Carolina history teacher that year was Donna Pinkston.  Mrs. Pinkston was pure evil, and was my class's source of torment for the entire year.  She had short black hair and wore purple eyeshadow up to her eyebrows.  I don't care if it was the 80's, there's no excuse for that type of makeup, other than to signal to the world the inherent evil trapped in human form.  She probably had a 666 birthmark on her scalp as well, but I never got close enough to look.

One day, we were all talking in class about the new Oprah show when Mrs. Pinkston butted in with an obnoxious "Who's Okra?"

Of course being the smart-assed adolescents we were, we delighted in her ignorance, and ridiculed her endlessly.

She didn't seem to care though.  But I'm sure that Mrs. Pinkston, wherever she may be (lurking in her lair perhaps), knows who Oprah is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment