Monday, May 2, 2011

bin Laden

Wow, what a night.

I knew something was up when they interrupted "Celebrity Apprentice" to say the President would be addressing the nation soon.  That never happens at 10:30 pm.  At first I thought he must be trying to get even with Donald Trump.

But at last came the news that Osama bin Laden had been located and killed.  I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it.  Numb I guess.  Not that I don't think he deserved it, it's just that I think I've locked 9/11 away in a place that seems so surreal and distant.  I really cannot believe it was almost 10 years ago.  In some ways in seems like just yesterday, and it has drastically altered the way we live out daily lives.

Life before the crackdown on air travel.  Remember when you could go through airport security to meet someone at the gate?  Or take your pocket knife hooked to your keychain?  Or not have to take off your shoes to pass through the metal detector.

Yep, it's altered our lives in so many ways, but nothing compared to those who lost friends and families, or who have since lost loved ones in the subsequent wars.

It's very sobering.  So I remain at a loss.  I cannot truly celebrate because it is all just so sad and pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment